Friday, May 4, 2018 at 3:19 PM
Please excuse our dust: Our 2nd floor galleries are CLOSED for renovations through December 2018. Our Main Gallery will be CLOSED May 7 - June 22 for renovations. Click for more info on exhibits!
Read more

City of Massillon: Fire Department

The fire department began as volunteer fire fighters with leather buckets, often filled from the canal or river by a line of men, or bucket brigade. In 1853, the city purchased a rotary hand engine made
by the Cataract Fire Pump Company, from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. On July 4, 1885, Massillon firemen
used their old Vigilant hand-pumper for a water stream competition held in Wooster, Ohio. From left to
right are Flaxie Miller, Fred Stryker, Harry Bergemier, Christian Baatz, Owen Miller. (MM, 76.12.2.)

Clement Russell served as first engine in the city of Massillon’s first fire department in 1853. The Massillon Fire Department second engine was James S. Kelley, third engine was Samuel F. Jones, and fourth engine was John D. Hofman.

 

Fire Department: Engines

 

Fire Department: Personnel

 

Fire Department: Stations

 

Fire Department: Exhibition Run

 

Fires: Bee Hive Department Store 1898

 

Fires: Buckeye Cereal 1943

 

Fires: Conrad Hotel Fire 1983

 

Fires: Erie Hotel Fire April 1, 1974

 

Fires: Fast and Friendly Fire 1994

 

Fires: First United Methodist Church Fire 1899

 

Fires: Griscom-Russell Fire

 

Fires: Hess-Snyder Fire

 

Fires: Independent Newspaper Fire 1967

 

Fires: La Cuisina Fire 1979

 

Fires: Lee Furniture Fire 1963

 

Fires: Lincoln Hotel & Brooks Clothing Fire 1938

 

Fires: Russell & Company Fire 1899

 

Fires: Street Fair 1898

 

Fires: State Hospital Fire

 

Fires: Pocock Glass Fire

 

Fires: Misc Business Fires

 

Misc House Fires

 
  • news
  • mailing list
  • volunteering
  • membership
  • calendar
  • shop